The Journey of a Thousand Miles...


Actually, I've already gone further than that. A lot further. About 11,000 miles in fact. And believe it or not, the journey was actually not that bad. Flew from London to Sydney via Singapore with Singapore Airlines, and not only was the fare reasonable (compared to other airlines, at least), but the journey was not entirely unpleasant, the staff were friendly and helpful, and perhaps most surprising of all, the food was actually very good! The first leg of the trip was on an Airbus A380, which was not nearly as exciting as I thought it was going to be. Having said that, first class on one of these things means your own private suite, but alas I was in economy class with the rest of the cattle.

Arrived at Singapore Changi airport with a five hour wait to kill. Managed to eliminate three of these hours by hiring a little nap room and a shower. This came to SGD$46 (about £20), which I thought was nothing short of bloody marvellous. There's loads more to do here too if you've got the time (and, more often than not, the money) for example in the Transit Lounge where I hired the nap room there is a gym and spa, where you can work out, get a haircut, massage or various beauty treatments. There is also a cinema which is free, some very good restaurants, free internet access via terminals across the Transit Mall, and the usual gaggle of duty free tat brokers, coffee shops and fast food joints. One of these caught my eye, 'The Toast Box'. In case you're wondering, yep, they sell toast. While this amused me, I managed to refrain from parting with my not-so-hard-earned cash in exchange for, essentially, a slice of toast.

Eventually boarded the plane for the second leg of my journey (barely - I nearly missed the flight due to, um, biological complications), and that was another uncomplicated, easy and uneventful part of the journey. Touched down in Sydney at 11.10am local time yesterday. My uncle and cousin were waiting for me at the airport, and brought me back to their house, which I will be calling home for the time being. After a few hours, I gave in to the jet lag and fell asleep. Managed to adjust myself away from UK time, but woke up at about 3am local time, so still have some adjusting to do.

Anyway, that's the beginning of my adventure. I've taken some pictures already which I will upload in due course, which will hopefully be accompanied by words a little more interesting than these. No solid plan at the moment, just a few ideas, but give me a couple of days and I'll have some typical tourist snaps for your perusal.
0 Responses